ING-IND/19 - Nuclear Engineering
The scientific-disciplinary sector Nuclear Engineering encompasses theoretical, experimental and computational studies of thermofluid dynamics, thermo-mechanical and neutronic problems related to the design, management and safety analysis of fission and fusion nuclear reactors; irradiation plants; nuclear fuel enrichment, fabrication and re-processing techniques; plant decommissioning; nuclear waste treatment.
Currently, the active research areas are:
- Thermo-mechanical analysis of components for fission and fusion nuclear reactors;
- Hydraulic and thermofluid dynamics analysis of cooling circuits for high energy density plants;
- Studies of neutron and photon transport in fission and fusion nuclear reactors;
- Analysis of the radionuclide inventory in systems exposed to irradiation by neutrons;
- Industrial applications of ionizing radiations;
- Safety analysis of nuclear plants and industrial systems exposed to risk of severe accidents;
- Analysis of the dispersion of airborne pollutants released from high energy density plants;
- Applications of Risk Analysis and Human Reliability Analysis in nuclear medicine;
- Study of heat and mass transfer in spacer-filled channels: experimental investigation by thermochromic liquid crystals and digital image processing, and numerical simulation by finite volume codes;
- Numerical simulation of electroconvection phenomena in electrolytic solutions adjacent to ion-selective membranes;
- Experimental and computational study of mass transport, fluid-structure interaction, maldistribution and limiting current density in electro-membrane processes;
- Modelling mass transfer in channels with transpiring walls;
- Study of mixing in mechanically stirred systems: experimental investigation and numerical simulation.
Main active research projects:
- Horizon 20-20 / Euratom research and training programmes 2014-2018 and 2019-2020, project EUROfusion, grant agreement No 633053, https://www.euro-fusion.org;
- RED-Heat-to-Power project (Conversion of Low Grade Heat to Power through closed loop Reverse Electro-Dialysis) - Horizon 2020 programme, Grant Agreement no. 640667, www.red-heat-to-power.eu.;
- REvivED project (Low energy solutions for drinking water production by a Revival of ElectroDialysis system) - Horizon 2020 programme, Grant Agreement no. 685579, www.revivedwater.eu;
- BAoBaB project (Blue Acid/Base Battery) - Horizon 2020 programme, Grant Agreement no. 731187, http://www.baobabproject.eu.
Key words: Nuclear plant, thermofluid dynamics, safety, risk analysis