Giuseppe Lo Papa
Address (domicile): Via E. Toti, 90128 – Palermo
Telephone: +39 091 23862218; Mob. +39 338 3629216
Education and Career
2011-to date Aggregate Professor in Pedology and Soil/Land Evaluation, University of Palermo, Italy.
2010-to date Researcher in Pedology (permanent position), Department of Agro-Environmental
Systems, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Palermo, Italy.
2009-2010 (22 months) Research Officer (GIS specialist in Digital Soil Mapping/Modeling), Spatial
Analysis Unit, RERC, Teagasc, Ireland.
2007-2008 (20 months) Senior Pedologist, Regional Environmental Protection Agency (ARPA-Sicilia),
2008 Intensive up-dating course in “soil monitoring network for the environment protection”
2005 - 2008 Research Project Assistant, Department of Agro-Environmental Systems - Faculty of
Agriculture; Department of Civil, Environmental and Aerospace Engineering - Engineering
Faculty, University of Palermo, Italy.
2004 - 2005 Contract Professor in Pedology, Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Natural Science.
2001 - 2004 Ph.D. student in Pedology, Department of Agro-Environmental Systems, Faculty of
Agriculture, University of Palermo, Italy. Research topics: gypsiferous soils in
Mediterranean environments, organic matter, humic substances, soil mapping and
modeling, mineralogy, biochemistry. Coordinator: Prof. C Dazzi; Supervisor: Dr R.
Scalenghe; co-advisors: Prof. T.M. Miano, Dr A.C. Edwards.
2004 (2 months) Visiting Student, Department of Biology and Chemistry of Agro-Forestry and
Environment, University of Bari, Italy. Advisor: T.M. Miano.
2004 (2 weeks) Visiting Student, Research Centre for the Soil-Plant System (CRA-RPS), Rome,
2003 - 2004 (7 months) Research training, The Macaulay Institute, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK. Advisor:
2000 - 2001 (1 year), Research Assistant (contract position), Department of Agro-Environmental
Systems, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Palermo, Italy.
2000 Intensive course on “Tools and methods for landscape analysis” held by the Faculty of
1998 Degree in Forestry (5yrs), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Palermo, Italy. Full marks
“cum laude”. The excellent results achieved have been appreciated with two additional
He spent also some periods in the following organisations for research and training activities:
- University of Molise, Italy (mineralogy, SEM-EDX analysis)
- Research Unit for Cropping Systems in Dry Environments (CRA-SCA), Bari, Italy, (geostatistics and spatial
- University of Naples Federico II (soil spatial variability)
- Stirling University, Scotland, UK (biochemistry)
- Agrobiology and Pedology Research Centre, Florence, Italy (soil geo-information and soil database design)
Scientific activity and Interests
i) impacts of human and agricultural activities on soil properties and soil diversity; ii) use of innovative
techniques and proximal sensors for spatio-temporal soil properties survey and mapping; ii)
digital/predictive soil mapping; iv) quail-quantitative aspects of soil organic and inorganic carbon in
Mediterranean soils for C stock and Climate Change; v) soil quality and human health relationships; vi) Soil
degradation in arid, semiarid e temperate climate; vii) Anthropogenic soil classification; viii) Soil modeling
and informatics for Land Evaluation; ix) Pedodiversity
Scientific Societies and Appointments
· Member of the following scientific societies: International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS), Italian
Society of Soil Science (SISS), Italian Society of Pedology (SIPE), European Society for Soil
Conservation (ESSC), International Humic Substances Society (IHSS).
· Elected Member of the Commission V (Soil Genesis and Classification) and of the Commission VIII
(Soil and Environment) of the Italian Society of Soil Science (SISS) (2012-2014).
· Elected Auditor of the Italian Society of Soil Science (SISS) (2012-2014).
· Secretary of the Commission V (Soil Genesis and Classification) of the Italian Society of Soil Science
· Co-convener and Chairman of the session S 2.3 “Pedodiversity in space and time: concepts,
measurements, applications”, 4th International Congress of the European Confederation of Soil
Science Societies (ECSSS) – Eurosoil 2012, 2-6 July, 2012, Bari, Italy.
· Member of the Organizing Committee of the International Workshop “COST Action 622 - Soil
Resources of European Volcanic System, Palermo, 27th September – 1st October 2000.
· Member of the Organizing Committee of the National Congress SISS “L’emergenza suolo”, Erice, 16-
· Member of the Organizing Committee of the 5th International Congress ESSC, Palermo 25-30 June
· Member of the Organizing Committee of the Workshop “World Soil Day 2010 – La percezione del
· Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Technology (Indonesia), a peer
· Referee for the following international peer-reviewed journals (ISI): Geomorphology (Elsevier), Soil
use and Management (Wiley).
Travel bursary, “Supervised Work Experiences Abroad” – POR Sicilia (EU co-funded)
· 2000: COST Action 622 “Soil Resources of European Volcanic System (Research Unit member).
· 2000-01: POP misura 10.4 “Modello di valutazione del territorio in aree a differente grado di
sensibilità colturale dei sistemi cerealicolo-foraggeri in rapporto ai caratteri funzionali del suolo”, EU
co-funded research project (Research Unit member)
· 2000-02: POM-OTRIS “Ottimizzazione dell’uso delle risorse idriche convenzionali e non, in sistemi
colturali sostenibili” (Research Unit member).
· 2001-03: MIUR Cofin 2001 “Metodologie Pedologiche per lo Studio della Variabilità Spaziale dei
Suoli” (Research Unit member).
· 2003-04: MIUR Cofin 2003 “Suoli antropogenici: attività biologica e problematiche tassonomiche”
· CORI 2005: “Impacts of land use and disturbance on ecological function of soils”, British Council and
MIUR funded project (Research Unit member).
· 2005-06: MIUR Cofin 2005 “Evoluzione, stabilità e dinamica delle componenti organiche dei suoli per
una loro definizione genetica e funzionale” (Research Unit member).
· 2005-08: “Soil Atlas of Italy”. Project funded by Italian Ministry of Agricultere and Forestry (Research
· 2007-08: MIUR Cofin 2007 “Previsione della risorsa idrica disponibile ed interventi di mitigazione”
· 2007-08: “Developing a Monitoring Network for the Environmental Soil Protection”. EU funded
project at the Regional Environmental Protection Agency of Sicily (Research Unit member).
· 2009-10: “Irish Soil Information System (ISIS)”. Project funded by Irish EPA to produce a Soil Map of
the Republic of Ireland in scale 1:250,000 with associated Soil Information System (Research Unit
1. De Benedetto D, Castrignano A, Sollitto D, Modugno F, Buttafuoco G, Lo Papa G (2012). Integrating
geophysical and geostatistical techniques to map the spatial variation of clay. GEODERMA, vol. 171-
172, p. 53-63, ISSN: 0016-7061, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2011.05.005.
2. Lo Papa G, Palermo V, Dazzi C (2011). Is land-use change a cause of loss of pedodiversity? The case of
the Mazzarrone study area, Sicily. GEOMORPHOLOGY, ISSN: 0169-555X, doi:
3. Dazzi C., Lo Papa G., Palermo V., 2009. Proposal of a new diagnostic horizon for the WRB Anthrosols.
GEODERMA 151 16-21.
4. Lo Papa G., Poma I., Gristina L., Alfieri G., Dazzi C., 2008 – Fine-Scale Spatial Variability of Soil
Organic Carbon and Related Environmental Variables in a Protected Area of Sicily, Italy. Ital. J. Agron.
/ Riv. Agron., 2008, 3 suppl. pp. 855-856.
5. Dazzi C., Lo Papa G., Palermo V., 2008 – Spatio-temporal Effects of Land Use Change on
Anthropogenic Soils Diffusion: A case study in a Mediterranean vineyard area. Advances in
GeoEcology, Vol. 39, Catena Verlag, pp.61-80. Reiskirchen, 2008. ISBN 978-3-923381-56-2. (C. Dazzi,