ICAR03 - Sanitary and Environmental Engineering - Laboratory
The laboratory of Sanitary and Environmental Engineering (ISA-LAB) comprises:
- a laboratory for conventional chemical physical and biological analysis;
- a laboratory for advanced analysis (respirometry, microscopy, fluorescence);
- pilot station for the treatment of water and wastewater, waste sludge, solid waste, waste biomasses, demonstrative pilot plants installed at Palermo wastewater treatment plant.
The ISA-LAB owns several devices for sampling and monitoring the solid-liquid emissions from treatment plants and software for the dynamic simulation of treatment processes.
The ISA-LAB occupies a total surface equal to 150 m2, divided into two rooms. The first room has air temperature conditioning, for specific analysis that requires particular room conditions; the second one holds the bench scale plants, and a small workshop. The site of ISA-LAB is at ground floor of DICAM, Building 8 (Viale delle Scienze, Ed. 8 - Palermo).
The ISA-LAB, that has been completely renovated in recent years, holds the following equipment:
- Gas chromatograph Agilent 6890N with sampler for the head space for the analysis of organic compounds in water and waste;
- Ion chromatograph Dionex DX120 for anion and cation analysis;
- Bench scale and field mass spectrometers for water quality monitoring;
- Atomic absorption spectrometer per metals measurements in water and contaminated soils;
- TOC Analyzers Shimadzu, for the analysis of total organic carbon and total organic nitrogen in waters for human consumption (springs, groundwater), wastewater, etc.;
- Multi-parameter probes, for the measurement of several parameters (among others: pH, T, O2, Conductivity, ORP);
- Soil sampler Eijkelkamp, for contaminated soil sampling and storing until the subsequent laboratory analysis;
- Moisture analyzer Sartorius MA100, for soil analysis;
- Microscope under phase contrast Leica DM LD100 for microorganisms and flocs observation;
- Portable methane and CO2 analyzer, for uncontrolled LFG emissions from landfill;
- For outdoor sampling and monitoring activities, the ISA-LAB is supported by DICAM with a off-road vehicle and a rubber dinghy.