Automatic skull stripping in MRI based on morphological filters and fuzzy c-means segmentation
- Autori: Gambino, O.; Daidone, E.; Sciortino, M.; Pirrone, R.; Ardizzone, E.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2011
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: Skull Stripping, Fuzzy C-means, Morphological Filters.
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/76858
In this paper a new automatic skull stripping method for T1-weighted MR image of human brain is presented. Skull stripping is a process that allows to separate the brain from the rest of tissues. The proposed method is based on a 2D brain extraction making use of fuzzy c-means segmentation and morphological operators applied on transversal slices. The approach is extended to the 3D case, taking into account the result obtained from the preceding slice to solve the organ splitting problem. The proposed approach is compared with BET (Brain Extraction Tool) implemented in MRIcro software.