A fast BEM model for 3D elastic structures with attached piezoelectric sensors
- Autori: Benedetti, I.; Milazzo, A.; Aliabadi, M.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: Piezoelectric sensors; DBEM; Fast BEM solvers; Hierarchical matrices
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/42150
A fast boundary element model for the analysis of three-dimensional solids with cracks and adhesively bonded piezoelectric patches, used as strain sensors, is presented. The piezoelectric sensors, as well as the adhesive layer, are modeled using a 3D state space finite element approach. The piezoelectric patch model is formulated taking into account the full electro-mechanical coupling and embodying the suitable boundary conditions and it is eventually expressed in terms of the interface variables, to allow a straightforward coupling with the underlying host structure, which is modeled through a 3D dual boundary element method, for accurate analysis of cracks. The technique is computationally enhanced, in terms of memory storage and solution time, using the hierarchical format in conjunction with a GMRES solver. The presented work is a step towards modeling of structural health monitoring systems.