Educational systems efficiency in European Union countries
- Autori: Giambona, F.; Vassallo, E.; Vassiliadis, E.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2011
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: PISA; educational achievement; efficiency analysis
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/60214
We use the PISA 2006 results to analyse students’ proficiency in EU countries with regard to two indexes that represent the home background, viz the educational resources available at home and the family background of students. However, many factors affect proficiency and therefore, using a DEA-bootstrap, we intend to measure the efficiency of the European educational systems as capability to ensure high students’ competencies despite adverse conditions about the educational resources available at home and the family background. Results show an unexpected differentiation among EU countries. In particular, the most developed countries often show disappointing students’ proficiency despite good levels of home background. In this case, an important role is played by the social and economic context.