X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy applied to the study of three sicilian painted artworks
- Autori: Caruso, F.; Di Stefano, C.; Saladino, M.; Caponetti, E.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: m-XRF spectroscopy, canvas, wood ceiling, viola d’amore, portable technique, painted materials
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/54456
This paper reports on three X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) studies of ancient Sicilian painted materials: a 13th century canvas from Cerami (Enna, Italy), the Muqarnas wood ceiling of the 12th century Palatine Chapel (Palermo, Italy) and a delicate early 20th century viola d’amore, the property of the Conservatorio di Musica “Vincenzo Bellini” in Palermo. Information about the pigments and preparation layer mixtures used as well as inferences regarding various past painting techniques emerged from the interpretation of spectra and data analyses.