Design of Numerical Simulations of Linear Friction Welding Processes: Issues and Difficulties
- Autori: Ducato, A.; Campanella, D.; Buffa, G.; Fratini, L.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2015
- Tipologia: Capitolo o Saggio (Capitolo o saggio)
- Parole Chiave: FEM, Linear Friction Welding, Titanium alloys
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/133676
In this paper, a critical analysis of the technical difficulties and numerical issues in running simulations of linear friction welding processes is carried out. The focus of the paper is the comparison of different modeling strategies of a numerical analysis for the LFW process of Ti-6Al- 4V titanium alloy, for which the thermal aspect strongly influences the mechanical behavior due to the phase transformation, taking place over a definite range of temperature. A 3D simulation campaign, conducted using the FEA code DEFORM™, was considered in order to show advantages and disadvantages of each approach, including the most critic limitations and complexity in a correct simulation design using two deformable objects