What olive oil for healthy ageing
- Autori: Aiello, A.; Dara Guccione, G.; Accardi, G.; Caruso, C.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2015
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Healthy ageing, polyphenols, olive oil
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/102255
The olive tree originated in Asia Minor around 6000 years ago and then spread to all the Mediterranean basin. Olive oil is extracted from the pulp of its fruits [1–3]. Many studies show that the nutritional pattern of the so-called Mediterranean Diet is associated with a lower incidence of age-related diseases related to inflammation and oxidative stress, such as cardiovascular disease, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and cancer [4–7]. It is now clear that olive oil, as a main source of fat, must play a key role in explaining the health benefits of the Mediterranean Diet.