Structure-property relationship of PLA-Opuntia Ficus Indica biocomposites
- Autori: Scaffaro, R.; Maio, A.; Gulino, E.; Megna, B.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2019
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Green composites; Halpin-Tsai; Lignocellulosic filler; Opuntia Ficus Indica; PLA; Ceramics and Composites; Mechanics of Materials; Mechanical Engineering; Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/353505
In this work, a lignocellulosic flour was achieved by grinding the cladodes of Opuntia Ficus Indica and then added to a poly-lactic acid (PLA) in order to prepare biocomposites by melt processing. The influence of filler content and size on the morphological, rheological, and mechanical properties of the green composites was assessed. Moreover, solvent-aided filler extraction enabled to evaluate the homogeneity of filler dispersion, as well as the effect of processing on the geometrical features of the fillers. The experimental data obtained by tensile tests proved to be remarkably higher than those predicted by Halpin–Tsai model, presumably due to the capability of the polymer to enter the empty channels of the fillers, thus dramatically increasing the interphasic region.