An Improved IEEE 802.11 Protocol for Reliable Data Transmission in Power Distribution Fault Diagnosis
- Autori: Campoccia, F.; Zizzo, G.; RIVA SANSEVERINO, E.; DI SILVESTRE, M.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2010
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: WiFi, IEEE 802.11 protocol, diagnostic, smart power distribution.
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/52310
A high level of power quality in distribution networks is obtained by means of a diagnostic software, that on-line assesses the status of the network, by elaborating the measured data. An efficient telecommunication system is thus necessary. Upon occurrence of a fault the reliability of the distribution system depends on the security of the timely protective and restorative actions on the network. In this paper, after a brief examination of the diagnostic method, the telecommunication system is examined. For this purpose, the WiFi telecommunication system has been considered the most suitable due to its economy, although it is not adequately reliable for how it is managed by the IEEE 802.11 protocol. In this work, a new protocol derived by a modification of the IEEE 802.11 is described; the improvements which it introduces are highlighted and its capability for the diagnostic service is verified in the application section.