Drivers influencing the governance of inter-firm relationships in the biopharmaceutical industry: an empirical survey in the Italian context
- Autori: Billitteri, C.; LO NIGRO, G.; Perrone, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2013
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: biopharmaceutical industry; governance form; inter-firm relationship; survey
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/75596
This paper focuses on factors influencing the choice of the governance form in inter-firm relationships (IFRs) between pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. By reviewing the relevant literature on transaction cost economics, property right theory, real option and resources-based view, we located some drivers that might influence such relationships and we formulated a set of hypotheses linking them to governance forms. Such a theoretical framework has been empirically tested through a survey conducted among the Italian companies associated to Farmindustria. Empirical results provide some interesting insights on how shaping bio-pharmaceutical deals; we found that the developmental stage of the product/technology object of the agreement, the existence of previous collaborations between firms and the number of products marketed by the biotech company are able to influence the selection of a specific governance form