Absorption of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by pinus bark: analytical method and use for environmental pollution monitoring in the Palermo area (Sicily, Italy)
- Autori: Orecchio, S.; Gianguzza, A.; Culotta, L.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2008
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: PAH; Bark; Pinus Bioaccumulator; GC/MS; Air quality; Palermo
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/34962
In the light of using biomaterial as pollutants sorbents for the environmental biomonitoring, we report here the results of the absorption of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) by pine bark. Quantitative analysis of 19 different polycyclic aromatic compounds was performed, after Soxhlet extraction in dichloromethane, by means GC–MS technique. Pinus was chosen due to its wide distribution in the Mediterranean area. The passive absorption of PAH by pine bark in the metropolitan areas allowed us to evaluate the air quality of Palermo. The obtained results showed a very high range of PAHs concentrations, from 33 mg/kg (bark dry weight), as SPAHs, at the control site to 1015 mg/kg along a road with high traffic flow.