Past, present and future perspectives on halloysite clay minerals
- Autori: Massaro M.; Noto R.; Riela S.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2020
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista
- Parole Chiave: Chemical modification; Halloysite nanotubes; Historical background; Supramolecular functionalization
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/476874
Halloysite nanotubes (HNTs), clay minerals belonging to the kaolin groups, are emerging nanomaterials which have attracted the attention of the scientific community due to their interesting features, such as low-cost, availability and biocompatibility. In addition, their large surface area and tubular structure have led to HNTs’ application in different industrial purposes. This review reports a comprehensive overview of the historical background of HNT utilization in the last 20 years. In particular it will focus on the functionalization of the surfaces, both supramolecular and covalent, following applications in several fields, including biomedicine, environmental science and catalysis.