Master Degree cum laude earned at University of Palermo (2008), he took his Ph.D. in Structural Engineering (2012) presenting the final work “Theoretical and experimental analysis of D-regions in RC members”. He was post-doctoral researcher at University of Enna “Kore” since May 2012 to December 2014, giving the course of "Design of RC structures" for the M.Deg. in Architecture.
He was assistant Professor at University of Palermo in 2016 and he is currently Associate Professor since 2021, giving the following courses: Reinforced Concrete and principles of structural mechanics (M.Deg. Env.Eng.-60 hrs), Analysis and Design of Structural Restoration of Existing Buildings (Civ.Build. Eng.-54 hrs), Lab of Structural Design (M.Deg Build.Arch.Eng.-50 hrs)
His research interests are in the field of Structural, Civil, Materials and Earthquake Engineering, with reference to: structural mechanics of RC members retrofitted with RC jackets; use of composite materials FRP and FRCM for structural upgrading; mechanics of FRCM composites; design optimization of retrofitting methods for existing buildings; confinement effects on RC columns; modelling D-regions (deep beams, corbels, members with openings); use of laminated glass for structural applications; second order effects on the compressive behaviour of reinforcing steel bars.
Author of several scientific publications on peer reviewed journals; (link to Scopus, Google Scholar, ResearchGate)
Editor in Chief of the Journal
- Applied Mechanics and Materials - Trans Tech Publications (https://www.scientific.net/AMM/Editors)
Member of the editorial board of the following indexed journals:
- Structural Engineering and Mechanics - Techno Press
- Computers and Concrete - Techno Press
- Mathematical Problems in Engineering - Hindawi
- Advances in Civil Engineering - Hindawi
- Fibers - Mdpi
- Buildings - Mdpi
- Advanced Engineering Forum - Trans Tech Publications
- Advances in Architectural Engineering - Techno Press
- Topic Editor of Materials (Mdpi)
Listed among 2019 Top 2% scientists - ranked 776/42054 in Materials Engineering (https://data.mendeley.com/datasets/btchxktzyw/2)
Potential topics for final works
The following topics are available for the development of the final works (thesis) of the Master Degree:
- development of an uniaxial model for the numerical simulation of the tensile behaviour of FRCM composites;
- comparative study on structural analysis methods of irregular existing buildings;
- use of the genetic optimization for the structural retrofitting of plane RC frames;
- combined numerical-analytical approaches for the design of RC sections under axial load and biaxial bending;
- the structural exoscheleton for the seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings: a case study.