Prediction of tool wear progress in machining of carbon steel using different tool wear mechanisms
- Autori: Umbrello, D.; Filice, L.; Matsumura, T.; Shirakashi, T.; Micari, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2008
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: tool wear; mechanisms and prediction
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/35046
In this paper the prediction of tool wear on carbide uncoated tools was taken into account. In particular, two different tool wear models based on the diffusion mechanism and on the abrasion mechanism were considered. The calibration of the utilized models was done using the results obtained by experimental analysis performed on an orthogonally machined AISI 1020 tube. Once the calibration was executed, numerical simulations, for both the utilized tool wear models, were simultaneously performed with the aim to test the capability of the proposed numerical procedure. The comparison between the two tool wear mechanisms for predicting the flank tool wear is discussed in the paper.