3D finite element analysis of tool wear in machining
- Autori: A., A.; E., C.; S., R.; D., U.; Micari, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2008
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: tool wear; machining
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/34978
The paper is focused on the 3D numerical prediction of tool wear in metal cutting operations. In particular, an analytical model, able to take into account the diffusive wear mechanism, was implemented through a specific subroutine. Furthermore, an advanced approach to model heat transfer phenomena at the tool–chip interface was included in the numerical simulation. The adopted simulation strategy gave the possibility to properly evaluate the tool wear. The 3D FEM results were compared with some experimental data obtained turning AISI 1045 steel using uncoated WCtool; a good agreement was found out.