ALE simulation of orthogonal cutting: a new approach to model heat transfer phenomena at the tool-chip interface
- Autori: Ceretti, E.; Filice, L.; Umbrello, D.; Micari, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2007
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista
- Parole Chiave: cutting; finite element method; heat transfer coefficient
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/23600
This paper presents a new procedure to evaluate the global heat transfer coefficient in orthogonal cutting. The knowledge of the actual heat transfer conditions is a fundamental issue as far as the life, tool wear and tool substitution interval are regarded. More in detail, an Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian approach was utilised to model orthogonal cutting process and the numerical simulations were validated by making experimental tests for identifying cutting forces and internal tool temperatures. A mild steel was cut utilising both an uncoated (WC) and a coated (TiN) tool. On the basis of both experimental and simulative data, a consistent model of the global heat transfer coefficient as function of the local pressure and temperature at the tool-workpiece interface was developed.