Essential oils composition of two Sicilian cultivars of Opuntia ficus-indica (L.) Mill. (Cactaceae) fruits (prickly pear)
- Autori: Zito, P.; Sajeva, M.; Bruno, M.; Rosselli, S.; Maggio, A.; Senatore, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2013
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: antimicrobials; antioxidants; Ceratitis capitata; essential oils; kairomones
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/68843
The essential oils composition of the skin, pulp and seeds from fruits of two Sicilian cultivars ofOpuntia ficus-indica(cv. Sanguigna and cv. Surfarina) has been obtained by hydrodistillation and the possible antioxidant, antimicrobial and semiochemical roles have been investigated comparing the data with those reported in the literature. The presence of antioxidants and antimicrobials found in this study increases the spectrum of compounds that have beneficial properties in O. ficus-indica. In addition, several compounds identified in this study have been reported to influence the behaviour of Ceratitis capitata, a phytophagous pest which causes severe damages to several crops including O. ficus-indica and the kairomonal activity of the odour of the fruits seems provided by a blend of compounds found in the various matrices analysed.