Efficient microwave-mediated synthesis of fullerene acceptors for organic photovoltaics
- Autori: Campisciano, V.; Riela, S.; Noto, R.; Gruttadauria, M.; Giacalone, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2014
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Fullerene; Organic photovoltaics; microwave chemistry; organic chemistry
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/102933
Two different processes, namely the Bamford–Stevens and [4 + 2] Diels Alder reactions, have been optimized under microwave irradiation for the functionalization of fullerenes. In this manner, all the main C60- and C70-based acceptor derivatives for organic solar cells such as PCBM, DPM, BHN and ICBA, have been prepared in higher yields and shorter reaction times with respect to the reported data. These findings represent a step forward toward the wide production of cheaper organic solar cells as a consequence of the cost abatement of the acceptors given by higher yields, lower waste production, and reduced reaction time which means a strong energy saving.