Genetic characterization of G3 rotaviruses detected in Italian children in the years 1993–2005
- Autori: DE GRAZIA, S.; Martella, V.; Colomba, C.; Cascio, A.; Arista, S.; Giammanco, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: rotavirus G3P; sequence analysis; NSP4; gastroenteritis; Italy
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/42768
In recent years an apparent increase in the frequency of detection of G3P rotaviruses has been observed worldwide. Similarly, in Italy G3P strains have been detected sporadically and in a scattered fashion over 20 years, whereas in 2003 and 2005 G3P rotavirus activity increased markedly. By analysis of the VP7, VP4, VP6, and NSP4 genes of a selection of G3P rotaviruses detected between 1993 and 2005, a remarkable sequence conservation was observed in the VP7, VP4, and VP6 genes. By converse, after 2002 the Italian G3P strains were found to possess unique mutations in significant regions of the NSP4 protein.