Performance evaluation of a newly developed molecular assay for the accurate diagnosis of gastroenteritis associated with norovirus of genogroup II
- Autori: De Grazia, S.; Bonura, F.; Cappa, V.; Li Muli, S.; Pepe, A.; Urone, N.; Giammanco, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2018
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Adolescent; Caliciviridae Infections; Child; Child, Preschool; Feces; Female; Gastroenteritis; Genotype; Humans; Infant; Male; Norovirus; Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction; Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction; Sensitivity and Specificity; Virology
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/332940
The performance of a newly proposed fully automated cassette-based sample-to-results solution for norovirus (NoV) detection, InGenius Norovirus ELITe MGB®, was evaluated. A total of 120 selected archival stool samples from children hospitalized for acute gastroenteritis were used to compare the results to a reference real-time RT-PCR. The InGenius NoV assay showed optimal diagnostic accuracy (sensitivity, 100%; specificity, 95.7%) and was able to correctly detect the entire wide panel of epidemiologically relevant genotypes tested. These preliminary results suggest that the InGenius NoV assay can be recommended as a valuable method for accurate diagnosis of NoV GII infection in epidemic and sporadic gastroenteritis.