Pyrrolo[3,4-h]quinolinones a new class of photochemotherapeutic agents
- Autori: Barraja, P.; Diana, P.; Montalbano, A.; Carbone, A.; Viola, G.; Basso, G.; Salvador, A.; Vedaldi, D.; Dall'Acqua, F.; Cirrincione, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2011
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Pyrrolo[3,4-h]quinolinones; Angelicin heteroanalogues; Photochemotherapeutic agents; Phototoxicity
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/55070
Pyrrolo[3,4-h]quinolin-2-ones were synthesized as nitrogen isosters of the angular furocoumarin angelicin, with the aim of obtaining new photochemotherapeutic agents with increased antiproliferative activity and lower undesired toxic effects. A versatile synthetic pathway was approached to allow the isolation of derivatives of the new ring system with a good substitution pattern on the pyrrole moiety. Photobiological screenings of the new compounds revealed a potent phototoxic effect and a great UVA dose dependence, reaching IC50 values at submicromolar level. The induced cellular photocytotoxicity was related to apoptosis with the involvement of mitochondria and lysosomes, alteration of cell cycle profile and membrane lipid peroxidation.