Biogas from municipal solid waste landfills: A simplified mathematical model
- Autori: Di Trapani, D.; Mannina, G.; Nicosia, S.; Viviani, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2018
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Biogas modelling; Flux chamber; Landfill gas; Landfill lifetime; Biodegradation, Environmental; Refuse Disposal; Sicily; Solid Waste; Waste Management; Biofuels; Models, Theoretical; Waste Disposal Facilities; Environmental Engineering; Water Science and Technology
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/298017
Municipal solid waste landfills represent one of the most important issues related to the waste management cycle. Knowledge of biogas production is a key aspect for the proper exploitation of this energy source, even in the post-closure period. A simple mathematical model, which is based on first-order biodegradation kinetics and also considers the temperature variation in time and depth as well as landfill settlement, was proposed for the simulation of biogas production. The model was applied to an operating landfill located in Sicily, in Italy, and the first results obtained were potential. The results showed a good fit between measured and simulated data. Based on these potential results, the model can also be considered a useful tool for landfill operators for a reliable estimate of the duration of the post-closure period.