FEM and experimental analysis of a total knee prosthesis
- Autori: Cerniglia, Donatella*; Ingrassia, Tommaso; Nigrelli, Vincenzo; Ricotta, Vito
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2018
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: CAD Model; Contact area; FEM; Knee prosthesis; Reverse engineering analysis; Ultrasonic methods; Engineering (all)
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/290906
In this study, a comparison between two different approaches used to study a total knee prosthesis is presented. In particular, the contact area of the components of knee prosthesis has been evaluated using both a numerical and an experimental approach. The numerical analysis has been performed by FEM Models, whereas the experimental study has been conducted using an ultrasonic-based method. To setup the FEM simulations, CAD Models of the components of the prosthesis have been reconstructed using a classic reverse engineering approach. Obtained results has allowed evaluating the contact area of the components of the prosthesis and demonstrated a very good level of correlation between numerical and experimental data.