Short biographical notes
Angela Candela is Researcher of Hydraulics Works (ICAR/02 – Costruzioni Idrauliche e Marittime e Idrologia) at the University of Palermo since July 2006. Member of Ph.D Board “Environmental and Hydraulic Engineering” University of Palermo from 2007, merged in Ph.D Board “Civil, Environmental and Materials Engineering” from 2011, University of Palermo, University of Messina and University of Enna. Senior Lecturer of River Basin Management for Environmental Engineers and Civil Engineers, University of Palermo from 2004.
M.Sc. Hydraulic Engineering (Italian: Laurea in Ingegneria Civile sez. Idraulica), University of Palermo, 10th November 1998, Final grade: 110/110 cum laude, Thesis: “Analisi fisico-ambientale del bacino del fiume Nocella”.
Visiting resercher at Institute of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Lancaster University, under the supervision of Prof. Keith Beven from june to september 2000 and from july to august 2001, working on hydrological response of natural catchments using TOPMODEL and on uncertainty analysis in parameters calibration in distributed modelling.
Ph. D. in Hydraulic Engineering, University of Naples. Thesis: “Rainfall-runoff transformation in semiarid areas using a distributed approach ”
Research Assistant Grant – “Development of an eco-dynamic model using a GIS: application to Marsala Stagnone Lagoon” – Tutor: Prof. Goffredo La Loggia, March 2002 – February 2003;
Research Assistant Grant – “Analysis of the hydrological response in semi-arid catchment” - Tutor: Prof. Goffredo La Loggia, March 2003 – February 2006.
Her research activities are related to evaluation and mitigation of flood risk, flood risk mapping, uncertainty analisys in rainfall-runoff modelling, hydrological response of natural catchments for flood defence, frequency analysis of extreme events for hydrological risk evaluation, river water quality modelling, analysis and control of water bodies.
She is author and co-author of about 60 papers related to hydrology and river basin management. She is reviewer for some international journals.
More recent pubblications
- A. Candela, G. Brigandì, G.T. Aronica, Estimation of Flood Design Hydrographs using bivariate analysis (copula) and distributed hydrological modelling, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 2, 27-79, 2014, Special Issue: Advanced methods for flood estimation in a variable and changing environment. doi:10.5194/nhessd-2-27-2014. www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci-discuss.net/2/27/2014/
- A. Candela, G. Freni, G. Mannina, G. Viviani, Receiving water body quality assessment: an Italian case study. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 14.1, pp.30-47, 2012, doi: 10.21.66/hydro.2011.099, http://www.iwaponline.com/jh/014/jh0140030.htm
- G.T. Aronica, A. Candela, P. Fabio, M Santoro, Estimation of flood inundation probabilities using global hazard indexes based on hydrodynamic variables, J. Phys. Chem. Earth, 42-44, 119-129, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.pce.2011.04.001, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1474706511000568,
- A. Candela, G. Freni, G. Mannina, G. Viviani, Quantification of diffuse and concentrated pollutant loads at the watershed-scale: an Italian case study, Water Science and Technology, 59.11, 2125-2135, 2009, http://www.iwaponline.com/wst/05911/wst059112125.htm
- A. Candela, G. Mannina, G. Viviani Multiregression analysis of the kinetic constants in ephemeral rivers: the case study of the Oreto river, Proceedings of International Symposium on Sanitary and Environmental Engineering, SIDISA12, Milano, 26-29 giugno 2012.
- A. Candela, M. Santoro, G. Viviani A new approach for assessing minimum flow in ephemeral streams, The role of Hydrology in Water Resources Management, Proceedings if the Symposium IHP 2008 during the IAHS Scientific Assembly, IAHS-AISH Publ. 327, pp. 314-323, 2009.
Recent research activities
- Scientific coordination of University Research Project (FFR 2012/13): "Definizione di scenari di inondazione attraverso metodologie innovative per il monitoraggio idrometrico" 2012/2013.
Partecipant to the COST Action ES0901 - EUROPEAN PROCEDURES FOR FLOOD FREQUENCY ESTIMATION (FLOODFREQ) – 2009-2013;
- Partecipant to the European research project funded by the Regional Sicilian Government within the “Linea di intervento 188.8.131.52 - POR FESR Sicilia 2007-2013”. “HYDROENERGY”, Scientific coordinator: Prof. T. Tucciarelli – 2011-2013;
Partecipant to the European research project funded by the Regional Sicilian Government within the “Linea di intervento 184.108.40.206 - POR FESR 2007-2013, “SESAMO Sistema informativo integrato per l’acquisizione, gestione e condivisione di dati ambientali per il supporto alle decisioni”, Scientific coordinator: Prof. G. La Loggia – 2011-2013;
- Partecipant to National Research Project (MIUR - PAC) "MITO - Informazioni Multimediali per Oggetti Territoriali", Scientific Coordinator: Prof. G. La Loggia - 2013/15.