Mode I failure modeling of friction stir welding joints
- Autori: Borino, G.; Fratini, L.; Parrinello, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: FSW, Failure, modelling
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/34928
This paper analyzes mechanical response by finite element method up to the decohesion failure in fracture mode I for joints of friction stir welding (FSW) of an aluminum alloy. It first describes experimental investigations on specimens with FSW embedded, subjected to uniform traction and local punch tests used to characterize local elastic and plastic material parameters. The heterogeneity of the mechanical properties induced by the FSW process is taken into account for the elastic-plastic finite element simulation. The growing damage and the opening failure of the welding zone are described by the adoption of a cohesive interface model with specific mechanical properties.