Ketogenic diet and phytoextracts. Comparison of the efficacy of Mediterranean, Zone and Tisanoreica diet on some health risk factors
- Autori: Paoli, A.; Cenci, L.; Fancelli, M.; Parmagnani, A.; Fratter, A.; Cucchi, A.; Bianco, A.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2010
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Ketogenic diet; Mediterranean diet; Phytoextracts; Tisanoreica; Weight loss; Zone diet; Food Science; Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/215097
The purpose of this work was to test the efficacy of three kind of different diet on some health risk factors. The primary objective of the present study was to examine the effects of diets, amount of carbohydrate intake and use of phytoextracts on weight loss, body composition and related risk factors and on metabolic values as Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) and Respiratory Ratio (RR).We tested 44 subjects randomly assigned to one of 3 groups of diet: Mediterranean (MED), Zone (ZON) and Tisanoreica® i.e. ketogenic diet plus phytoextracts (TIS). Anthropometry, blood chemistry and urine analysis were performed. After 40 days TIS led to a significant average weight and fat loss compared to ZON and MED. Moreover TIS showed a significant reduction in fasting glucose whilst there weren't significant differences in creatinine, uric acid and urea. A significant reduction in the Respiratory Ratio in the TIS group was observed. In conclusion our data shows that the TIS diet, using supplements that mimic the look and taste of carbohydrates and phytoextracts enhance weight reduction, improved lipid profile and mitigate the side effects of ketosis.