Finite difference time domain simulation of soil ionization in grounding systems under lightning surge conditions
- Autori: ALA G; FRANCOMANO E; TOSCANO E; VIOLA F
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2004
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Finite difference, electromagnetic transient, grounding systems
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/2199
This paper proposes a Maxwell’s equations finite difference time domain (FDTD) approach for electromagnetic transients in ground electrodes in order to take into account the non linear effects due to soil ionization. A time variable soil resistivity method is used in order to simulate the soil breakdown, without the formulation of an initial hypothesis about the geometrical shape of the ionized zone around the electrodes. The model has been validated by comparing the computed results with available data found in technical literature referred to concentrated earths. Some application examples referred to complex grounding systems are reported to show the computational capability of the proposed model.