Coronavirus and library services
Regulatory context and current precautionary measures
For the methods of access and permanence within the Structures of the University of Palermo, refer to the Note prot. 126776 of 08.11.2022.
The application procedures in the University in the event of Covid-positive subjects or close contacts of Covid-positive subjects are contained in the nota prot. 3899 del 12/01/2023 - Aggiornamento delle modalità di gestione dei casi positivi al SARS-Cov-2 e dei contatti stretti in Ateneo - Circolare del Ministero della Salute n. 51961 del 31/12/2022. (Updates about the methods for managing SARS-Cov-2 positive cases and close contacts at the University).
In the light of the regulatory context and the current precautionary measures we inform you that within the University:
- the ban on access to university facilities remains for SARS-CoV-2 positive subjects or for those who show respiratory or feverish symptoms;
- to those who have had close contact with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 positive subjects, the self-surveillance regime is applied, with the obligation to wear FFP2-type respiratory protective devices, indoors or in the presence of gatherings, up to the tenth day following the date of the last close contact; if symptoms occur during the self-monitoring period, immediate execution of an antigen or molecular test is recommended which, in the event of a negative result, must be repeated, if symptoms are still present, on the fifth day following the date of the last contact;
- the use of a mask (surgical type or FFP2) is recommended in all cases of sharing indoors work and study environments; the same obligation must be observed outdoors in the case of gatherings;
- we invite you to sanitize your hands frequently and to maintain interpersonal distance.
Library days and hours of service for each location are available on each library's web pages.
[last updated: January 31, 2023]
The University of Palermo's Library System and Historical Archives (SBA) includes libraries, historical archives and coordination offices.
The University Library System:
- aims to meet the information and documentary needs of its users, ensuring the development and coordination of the acquisition, preservation and enjoyment of bibliographic assets, as well as the access and dissemination of information also through the use of innovative technologies.
- provides students and teachers with services, tools and bibliographic collections (paper and digital) for study and scientific research
- supports the dissemination and evaluation of the research products elaborated by University of Palermo authors
- interacts with local institutions for the realization of events aimed at promoting the spread of culture and knowledge.
- aims to contribute to the intellectual development of the academic community and society in general
Locations of the campus libraries, opening hours, facilities
The University offers users 23 libraries with numerous rooms designed to make reading, study and research more enjoyable. The libraries offer, in addition various services: Wi-Fi, computers, copiers, scanners, etc.
Some libraries remain open until the evening.
The reading rooms of the following libraries will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Biblioteca di Ingegneria
- Biblioteca Interdipartimentale di discipline umanistiche Sezione I. Linguistica "Francesca Laura Morvillo"
The reading room of the following library will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
As provided for in the Regulations for Access to Library Services of the University of Palermo (R.D. 5827/2022, Art. 3, paragraphs a,b,c), the libraries are also open to external users.
Our printed collection are available on libraries reading rooms. They consist of more than 1,500.000 documents. Digital collections are made of over 33.000 journals, 330.000 e-books, e-journals, several databases. To research and identify our printed and digital collections, users can search by UniPa Discovery Service: In case of digital resources, the document could be read on screen. Researching printed documents by Unipa Discovery service, results will point to libraries reading rooms showing their position on shelves to lend or read books in house.
The IRIS Repository offers straight access to documents related to University of Palermo professors and researchers scientific working papers.
University of Palermo libraries offers quality services, both accessible from home or from the reading rooms. Click here to access the digital collections, without necessarily going physically to the libraries.
Moreover, its possible to obtain documents from other libraries through document delivery and interlibrary loan services.
Reference librarians facilitate access to the libraries’ collections and services and assist patrons in finding information and in learning how to conduct research to find information on their own: support is offered at the libraries' reference desks, via e-mail, telephone and the live chat “Ask a librarian”. For international students and vising professors the reference service is also available in English.
Some libraries reading rooms are open until the evening.
- Loan, renewal and booking of books or other documents
- Orientation to the use of specific databases for the evaluation of scientific research results
- Information literacy online classes and training courses aimed at learning bibliographic research methodologies, evaluation and ethical and effective use of information source
- Loan and booking of e-Readers and tablets