Chitosan-phosphotungstic acid complex as membranes for low temperature H2-O2 fuel cell
- Autori: Santamaria, M.; Pecoraro, C.; DI QUARTO, F.; Bocchetta, P.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2015
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Chitosan; Composite membrane; H2-O2 PEMCF; Heteropolyacid; Proton conducting; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Energy Engineering and Power Technology; Renewable Energy, Sustainability and the Environment; Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/154241
Free-standing Chitosan/phosphotungstic acid polyelectrolyte membranes were prepared by an easy and fast in-situ ionotropic gelation process performed at room temperature. Scanning electron microscopy was employed to study their morphological features and their thickness as a function of the chitosan concentration. The membrane was tested as proton conductor in low temperature H2-O2 fuel cell allowing to get peak power densities up to 350 mW cm-2. Electrochemical impedance measurements allowed to estimate a polyelectrolyte conductivity of 18 mS cm-1.