Noise-induced enhancement of stability in a metastable system with damping
- Autori: Fiasconaro, A; Mazo, JJ; Spagnolo, B
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2010
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Probability theory, stochastic processes, and statistics; Fluctuation phenomena, random processes, noise, and Brownian motion
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/57864
The mean first passage time of a Brownian particle from an initial unstable state in a metastable system with damping is investigated. The system is analyzed in the low to high damping regime, and the role played by the damping parameter is studied. We observe the noise enhanced stability effect for all the initial unstable states under study and for all values of the damping parameter \gamma investigated. The curves show a behavior of the mean first passage time vs \gamma very close to that observed for an overdamped particle in the presence of colored noise as a function of the correlation time.