Innovation in the Rural Areas and the Linkage with the Quintuple Helix Model
- Autori: Seminara, M.; Provenzano, V.; Arnone, M.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2016
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Rural Areas; Innovation; Quintuple Helix Model; Smart Specialization Strategy
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/233627
In this paper we analyze some specific conditions for local development. Our interest is oriented towards a multidimensional aspect of peripheral and rural areas. The rural areas considered as a productive system reflects a strong relationship between the agriculture and the other economic activities, In addition eco-systems must be protected and enhanced to develop innovation models that propose new roles and responsibilities for a new development vision. Following the implementation of the Smart Specialization Strategy and the Quintuple Helix Model this paper underlines the importance of connecting the innovation process with rural territories. We have considered some environmental and sectorial indicators for Sicily compared with the rest of Italy, to underline the role of peripheral areas for a new style of competitiveness based on the principles of sustainable development.