A collision timing monitor for SuperKEKB
- Autori: Di Carlo, S.*; Messina, F.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2017
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Beam-monitoring; Beamstrahlung; Collision-timing; Frequency-mixing; Non-linear-crystal; Up-conversion;
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/288458
The analysis of beamstrahlung radiation, emitted from a beam of charged particles due to the electromagnetic interaction with a second beam of charged particles, provides a diagnostic tool that can be used to monitor beam–beam collisions in a e+e− storage ring. In this paper we show that the beamstrahlung time profile is related to the timing of the collisions and the length of the beams, and how its measurement can be used to monitor and optimize collisions at the interaction point of the SuperKEKB collider. The method has a unique passive monitor capability, since it allows to monitor the timing of the collision without disturbing (scanning) the beam–beam timing, which needs to be measured to unprecedented accuracy at SuperKEKB. To measure the time dependence of beamstrahlung, we describe a method based on nonlinear frequency mixing in a nonlinear crystal of beamstrahlung radiation with photons from a pulsed laser. We demonstrate that the method allows to measure and optimize the relative timing and length of the colliding bunches with 3% accuracy.