A New interpretation of intrinsic optical bistability observed in Yb3+-doped bromide materials
- Autori: Ciccarello, F.; Napoli, A.; Messina, A.; Luthi, S.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2003
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: optical bistability ; rare earth ions
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/64867
We present a mechanism able to show intrinsic bistable behavior involving single Yb3þ ions embedded into bromide lattices, in which intrinsic optical bistability (IOB) has been observed. The mechanism is based on the experimentally found coupling between the Yb3þ ion and the totally symmetric local mode of vibration of the [YbBr6]3 coordination unit. The model reproduces the IOB observed in CsCdBr3:1% Yb3þ and allows to understand the experimentally found presence of the phenomenon in the other bromides, but its absence in Cs3Lu2Cl9:Yb3þ