Surveillance of human astrovirus circulation in Italy 2002-2005: emergence of lineage 2c strains
- Autori: DE GRAZIA, S.; Platia, M.; Rotolo, V.; Colomba, C.; Martella, V.; Giammanco, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2011
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Astrovirus, gastroenteritis, genotyping, Italy, sequence analysis
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/52744
By screening faecal samples collected over four consecutive years (2002-2005) from hospitalized children with diarrhoea in Palermo, Italy, astroviruses (HAstVs) were detected in 3.95% of the patients. The predominant type circulating was HAstV-1 but, in 2002, only HAstV-2 and -4 were identified. Interestingly, the HAstVs-2 detected appeared to be consistently different in 5' end of their open reading frame 2 from the previously described subtypes. These novel type 2 strains were included in a new 2c lineage based on the phylogenetic analysis and the presence of nine peculiar substitutions.