New Thiazole Nortopsentin Analogues Inhibit Bacterial Biofilm Formation
- Autori: Carbone, Anna; Parrino, Barbara; Cusimano, Maria Grazia; Spanò, Virginia; Montalbano, Alessandra; Barraja, Paola; Schillaci, Domenico; Cirrincione, Girolamo; Diana, Patrizia; Cascioferro, Stella
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2018
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Anti-virulence agents; Antibiofilm agents; Marine alkaloids; Nortopsentin analogues; Thiazole derivatives;
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/350219
New thiazole nortopsentin analogues were conveniently synthesized and evaluated for their activity as inhibitors of biofilm formation of relevant Gram-positive and Gram-negative pathogens. All compounds were able to interfere with the first step of biofilm formation in a dose-dependent manner, showing a selectivity against the staphylococcal strains. The most active derivatives elicited IC50 values against Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25923, ranging from 0.40–2.03 µM. The new compounds showed a typical anti-virulence profile, being able to inhibit the biofilm formation without affecting the microbial growth in the planktonic form.