Sustainable Tourist Development in Italian Holiday Destinations
- Autori: Cracolici, M.; Nijkamp, P.; Cuffaro, M.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2008
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Activity Analysis; Data Envelopment Analysis; Sustainable Tourism Destination; Tourist Performance.
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/49466
This paper argues that tourism will become a major activity in a modern welfare state, which will have serious consequences for environmental sustainability. This issue calls for an assessment of the pros and cons of the ecological efficiency of tourism. We propose an overall efficiency indicator that comprises both a sustainable tourism index and an economic efficiency index. Based on a data set for Italian provinces and using Activity Analysis, a quantitative assessment of the relative position of Italian tourist destination areas is made from the perspective of sustainable tourism.