The role of EPS in fouling and foaming phenomena occurring in an UCT-MBR pilot plant
- Autori: Cosenza, A.; Di Bella, G.; Mannina, G.; Torregrossa, M.; Viviani, G.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2012
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: MBR plant, nutrient removal, Foam Power, Scum Index.
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/65990
The aim of this study is to detect a possible relationship between EPS and fouling and EPS and foaming in a University Cape Town (UCT) membrane bioreactor (MBR) pilot plant. The UCT-MBR pilot plant was fed with 40 L/h of real wastewater and monitored for 165 days. Specifically physical/chemical features of influent, permeate and mixed liquor in different sections were analyzed. The fouling phenomenon was studied monitoring the hydraulic resistances of the membrane. The extracellular polymeric substances (EPSs) concentration inside the aerobic tank were also measured. The foaming phenomenon was monitored by performing the Foam Power and Scum Index testes. Results have shown a high correlation between fouling and EPS distribution and foaming and bound EPSs concentration. None correlation was found comparing foaming and fouling indicating that further studies have to be performed in order to deep this issue