Greenhouse gas from moving bed based integrated fixed film activated sludge membrane bioreactors
- Autori: Mannina, G.; Capodici, M.; Cosenza, A.; DI TRAPANI, D.; Laudicina, V.; Ødegaard, H.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2016
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: Nitrous oxide; Emission factor; IFAS; MBR; UCT
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/180708
The present paper reports the results of a nitrous oxide production investigation in a moving bed based integrated fixed film activated sludge (IFAS) membrane bioreactor (MBR) pilot plant designed in accordance with the UCT layout for biological phosphorous removal. Samples of gas and liquid were collected in order to measure the gaseous, as well as the dissolved concentration of N2O. Furthermore, the gas flow rate from each reactor was measured and the gas flux was estimated. The results confirmed that the anoxic reactor represents the main source of nitrous oxide production. A significant production of N2O was, however, also found in the anaerobic reactor, thus indicating a probable occurrence of the DPAOs activity.