Plasma membrane redox system in the erythrocytes of rowers: Pilot study
- Autori: DI MAJO, D.; Contro', V.; Bianco, A.; Giammanco, M.; LA GUARDIA, M.; Traina, M.; Proia, P.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2017
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/231538
The oxidative stress results from a change in the physiological balance between oxidant and antioxidant species. This type of stress is a chemical change in the redox state of cells. The increased production of reactive species is related to an excessive metabolic activation, for example, from an intense physical exercise or an excessive caloric intake (1). In physiological conditions, muscle fibers are provided with an antioxidant system able to keep under control the excessive production of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS).