Remote Optical Monitoring in Remotely Power Assisted Passive Optical Networks
- Autori: Tosi Beleffi, G.; Forin, D.; Di Bartolo, S.; Incerti, G.; Carrozzo, V.; Ando', A.; Busacca, A.; Teixeira, A.; Costa, L.; Valenti, A.; Pompei, S.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2010
- Tipologia: Proceedings (TIPOLOGIA NON ATTIVA)
- Parole Chiave: Optical monitoring, passive optical network, remote functionalities, OTDR, fiber Bragg gratings, remote powering.
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/57453
In this paper, the authors present the latest results on a simple and low cost method to achieve a dynamic and flexible network monitoring. By placing several fiber Bragg gratings (FBG) along the passive optical gigabit Ethernet infrastructure (GePON), the proposed modified optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR) is able to monitor the entire system by simply tuning its working wavelength. Furthermore, the optical network terminals(ONT), at the end users premises, have been interconnected to the trunk via an innovative cable able to both carry the optical signal as well as the power supply.