Universal Charts for Optical Difference Frequency Generation in the Terahertz Domain
- Autori: Cherchi, M.; Bivona, S.; Cino, A.; Busacca, A.; Oliveri, R.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2010
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: Frequency conversion; optical frequency conversion; optical parametric amplifiers; optical propagation in nonlinear media; optical pulse generation; semiconductor materials; submillimeter wave transmitters
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/49267
We present a universal and rigorous approach to study difference frequency generation in the terahertz domain, especially when reaching for the quantum efficiency limit. Through the definition of a suitable figure of merit, we have been able to keep the number of degrees of freedom to a minimum, in order to draw up suitably normalized charts, that enable to predict the optical-to-terahertz conversion efficiency of any efficient system based on wave propagation in quadratic nonlinear materials. The predictions of our approach take into account the effects of both terahertz absorption and optical pump depletion, and are found to be in good agreement with the best experimental results reported to date. This enabled also to estimate the d22 nonlinear coefficient of high quality GaSe.