Melatonin: Structural characterization of its non-enzymatic mono-oxygenate metabolite
- Autori: Agozzino, P.; Avellone, G.; Bongiorno, D.; Ceraulo, L.; Filizzola, F.; Natoli, M.; Livrea, M.; Tesoriere, L.
- Anno di pubblicazione: 2003
- Tipologia: Articolo in rivista (Articolo in rivista)
- Parole Chiave: 1D and 2D nuclear magnetic resonance; Mass spectra; Melatonin; Metabolites; Structure; Endocrinology
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/243627
Oxidation of melatonin by Fenton reagents as well as with hypochlorous acid or oxoferryl hemoglobin has been investigated. Analysis of products by low resolution/mass spectra (MS), high resolution/MS, 1H-nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), 13C-NMR, correlated spectroscopy (COSY) and heterocorrelated spectroscopy (HETCOR) 2D NMR reveals the formation of a single mono-oxygenated product under all conditions and unequivocally assigns the N-[2-(5-methoxy-2-oxo-2,3-dihydro-1H-indol-3-yl)-ethyl]-acetamide structure, which had not been previously considered.